Week Preview 6/19

Happy Monday,

I’m back at this week after a weekend full of trials and tribulations from this little thing called life. It’s nice to get back into the flow of work where I can stay focused and work towards something greater and enjoy it.

This week I will hopefully create the NSF53 challenge water and begin my column tests although I’m not sure how it will go. I have will also be determining how to measure the amount of UV light absorbed by the media inside the tube. But first, I have to see if the UV light will even get to the media. I have heard that the material of tube I am using, polyethylene, absorbs the light and will not allow it to pass through to the media. Reason being, the rays of light do not refract back OUT of the tubing once refracting in. This all dependent on the index of refraction, the entry angle, the critical angle, and the angle at which the light is attempting to exit at. In general though, how do we measure the light absorbed? Well, this is a good question with no answer so far. I have to determine the answer. My mentor, Ariel, had told me that it might be a calculation rather than a measurement. However, there is no formula for this, which means, I would have to come up with a new equation or formula for this system. This is an exciting part where I get to put my physics, math, and passion for proofs to work. Theoretical work I could call it. Hopefully, all goes according to plan. I hope I can get it done.

Until the end of the week,

-Chris