The Growing up (ninth week) Sequel!

Last week ended rather solemnly, alone, with thoughts on what I’ll do in the following days of insularity.

I have done experiments before, pipetted liquids, mathed masses, analyzed data. . . but the prospect of working by myself without any supervision may portend mischievous proclivities, say like traces of pyromania— an incline of a mad scientist.

But here’s what came of it instead, my own synthesized copper particles:

Mickey mouse Cu-particles (arrows delineating ears)

A hearty Cu-particle

These are particles I synthesized on my own without any overseer, save the other grad students in the lab, whose presence curbed my pyromaniacal tendencies. After my synthesis, I washed the flasks I used with AQUA REGIA. That is a clear sign of a baby who’s grown, I used the “king of all liquids”. For those who are unsure what AQUA REGIA is, know it is dangerous. It requires that one be completely clad in the safety regalia of goggles, lab coat, gloves, prudence, serendipity, and closed-toed shoes.

My name is Ifeoluwa Adebiyi, my faculty host is Dr. Naomi Halas, and my mentor is Dr. Oara Neumann and if there is anything the eighth week has taught, it is that one sure measure of learning is the subliminal disposition to the lessons we’ve learned. Also, we could be whimsical in our reiteration of process, as long as we remain true to the fundamental protocol. Here’s to a summer of growing up!