Balance!

As we begin week 5 of the internship, the mid-way point, I find myself trying to remember why I started and how great this opportunity is.

Results are the main goal of the project, but sometimes, the tests may fail or yield unwarranted results, in which we must attempt to explain ourselves to our mentors. I am not an engineer, nor do I wish to be. My scientific passion involves the merging of environmental science with biotechnology to better understand the carbon cycle in coastal systems. This internship has definitely challenged me by placing me outside of my comfort zone and making me learn materials and methods that I am not familiar with.

To balance the recent stress of acquiring data over a week, and then finding out the data may not be applicable to our project, I decided to spend the weekend with my family and friends. With my family, who were attending a weekend, Houston Astros Baseball game, it was great showing them around campus and seeing them proud of me. With my friends, we went to the Houston Museum of Natural Science, which is a 15 minute walk from where I stay!

My family and friends really re-energized me and helped me de-stress.