Back in Houston

I was at ASU earlier this week, just in time for the heat wave.  I had never experienced 120F (49C) and the effects this has on mobile phones: they overheat so much that I had to take my phone out of my pocket when I was walking from my hotel to ISTB4!

Other than that, I had a great time.  I had the opportunity to talk to the three REUs, and one of the RETs (Charles), and got a tour of their very nice labs and the scary stuff in them (thank you, Chris, for pointing the hazards out!).

Here’s the end-of-the-tour photo:

Chris, Jorge, Sky, and Tanner in Dr Chan’s lab

I also got a tour of Mobile-NEWT (thank you, Shahnawaz!) and chatted with Ariel, Mark, and Sergi about their experiences in NEWT both as mentors and as graduate student and postdocs.

I was also able to discuss the NEWT Education Assessment Program with Matthew Gallagher from ASU UOEEE, and with Dr Adam Carberry, who thought that this discussion was better had at a pub over pasties, which I knew not from Cornwall, but from Pachuca, Mexico.  I guess mining yields regional dishes as much as metals!

ASU was a great experience, can’t wait to be in the Bhutanese environment of UTEP next month!

–Jorge

One Comment
  1. I’m glad I could contribute to your safety. Also glad you enjoyed the new heat. It’s usually like that from June to August. Sometimes, even days before Christmas, it’ll be in the 90’s during daytime. No place like Arizona other than Death Valley. Nobody lives there though (except for like 300 crazy people).