2023 NEWT REU Blog Entry # 6 – Leanh Nguyen

Hello! My name is Leanh Nguyen, and I am a rising junior at Rice University. I have just finished another week of my time at NEWT’s REU, and I had another amazing week with my mentors and peers. 

During the first part of the week, Naomi and I began setting up our Rodeostat for arsenic detection tests. However, once we began testing, we ran into some issues with our initial checks and calibrations. Thus, we will need to perform some troubleshooting to see what is wrong.

The electrode setup

Placing the electrodes

The Rodeostat Inside the Faraday Cage

Rodeostat System in Faraday Cage

Throughout the week, Naomi and I did work on creating and setting up our posters and the corresponding figures, graphs, and tables that we may need for each poster. Additionally, we finalized our abstracts for the arsenic detection project and the Hueco Tanks Water Purification project with Dr. Loyo. 

Lastly, on Friday, we had another group discussion with the UTEP students and mentors regarding our posters and abstracts. Overall, we need to finalize our data and begin organizing our poster before next Friday. 

Once again, thank Dr. Jorge Loyo, Dr. Silvia Chavez, and Dr. Eva Deemer for this amazing opportunity and for all of the guidance and knowledge they have given me. 

One Comment