NEWT Orientation

Hello everyone!

I am a NEWT Intern at Arizona State University. Let me tell you about my experience at orientation. We arrived at Houston, Texas on June 3rd. I did not know what to expect, I imagined I was going to be alone throughout the whole trip, but I wasn’t! I met very impressive people during this orientation. I was given the opportunity to chat more with the other ASU interns (I had already met them at the safety training that is required) but I also met the other students from Rice University and University of El Paso (UTEP). Everyone was very welcoming. It was my first time in Texas, so it was very exciting. Houston has a different scenery compared to that of Phoenix, Arizona. I was given the opportunity to see a different state, but the campus at Rice University is beautiful! I suggest anyone to visit.

Orientation was GREAT! We began orientation by presenting about ourselves. We could learn more about the other interns, and about what they will be working with this summer. Everyone has a different project, with different mentors as well. At first, I was worried because I did not know much of what I was going to be working with. But let me tell you that’s mostly all of us. We were all given a project that we had to read about and summarize it to the best of our abilities on the presentation. However, we were told that not knowing much about your project was normal. That is why we have a mentor, they will be more than willing to help. They also encouraged us to ask many questions, this will allow us to learn much more! Several activities were done and expectations were mentioned. This all prepared you for the program

I’m excited to see what the rest of the 10 weeks will look like!